Tipping the scales
Looking for some fixes to my weight loss program, I found 102 tips on line. Here are 24 that I am willing to try:
1) Use a smaller dinner plate-it’ll limit how much you can pile on. I have tried this one. I put my lonely scrambled eggs on a salad plate and they don’t look so lonely.
2) Use a blue dinner plate. Studies show the color has an appetite- suppressing effect (as opposed to red and yellow plates). We eat on red plates. I am going to try this one.
3) Snack on pistachios instead of pretzels. Ricky started this months ago.
4) Work out with your partner. Couples who train together are 34% more likely to stick to their workouts. We go to the gym together after I get off work 5 days a week.
5) Eat at the kitchen table-not on the couch. We always eat dinner at the table. I have the TV turned so I can watch the news. Those wall mount swivels are great.
6) Take a real “before” photo. You’ll be more motivated knowing what you look like and where you want to go. I took my before picture. Then I got a new phone. I had the picture marked private. It didn’t make it over. I hope the factory reset got rid of it.
7) Choose ellipticals with handles. You’ll recruit muscles in your arms and burn more calories overall. My doctor recommended this one. I am actually sweating.
8) Eat more avocados. They’re loaded with the kind of healthy fats you need to keep your body burning fat. I am trying but the only way I really like them is in a dip with chips. Sort of defeats the purpose.
9) Drink tea. It’s loaded with fat-burning antioxidants. I drink a lot of ice tea. Maybe I should switch out my coffee too.
10) Eat less sugar. Limit yourself to no more than 72 grams a day. This is a diabetic thing. We crave sugar, but I am doing pretty good here.
11) Get a dog. (Or borrow your girlfriend’s.) Taking Fido for a walk 20 minutes a day can help you shed 14 pounds a year. I would love to have a dog but the condo association doesn’t allow them unless they are service animals. Don’t need a girlfriend either.
12) . Eat more beans. This high-fiber, protein-packed staple will help your body incinerate fat. Purée them for stews or toss with oil and vinegar and serve as a side dish. I am trying this one. I get pintos (not refried) or black beans in a burrito.
13) Jot short-terms goals on index cards. Once they’re met, add ’em to a pile. Having a stack of accomplishments will boost your confidence. I don’t know this might work for some people.
14) Load up on fiber. Lentils, beans, , and pears are all great sources. I am actually on fiber therapy.
15) Skip the elevator. Take the stairs and burn 100 cals every 10 minutes you climb. I take the stairs up to my office.
16) Hold the fries-and the cheese from your burger. Save 300 cals. I order cottage cheese. But sometimes I have the fries, extra crispy.
17) Write down everything you eat. Trim 250 calories a day and you can shed up to two pounds a month. I put it all down in MyFitnessPal.
18) Don’t skip breakfast. A high-nutrient breakfast gets your body off to a good calorie-burning start. Shoot for 400 to 600 calories within an hour of waking up. Remember those scrambled eggs on the salad plate?
19) Get new sneakers. After about 500 miles, it’s time for a new pair. New shoes mean more motivation. New sneakers, new workout clothes period helps with the motivation.
20) Add heat to your dinner. (and hot peppers) speed up your metabolism and help you to eat slower. We have been trying some Creole dishes that are pretty spicy. Last night we had something that was supposed to have alligator in it. We used chicken.
21) Do household chores. Burn calories while mowing the lawn (346 calories per hour), raking leaves (230), or washing your car (269). Instead of going to the kitchen at commercial times I go scrub the bathroom or dust something.
22) Swap a side of rice with a low-cal veggie like . You’ll save 250 calories per serving. We don’t eat much rice. I am getting very sick of broccoli.
23) Brush your teeth before bed-shirtless. You’ll see your progress in the mirror and get psyched to work out the next morning. This might work for some, but I am so fat it is very hard to see any progress.
24) Drink Responsibly. Steer clear of mixed drinks. Stick with a or glass of Or at least something made with a low-cal mixer, like diet soda or tonic. I am going to New Orleans for my 55th birthday. All bets are off that week.